Friday, January 08, 2010

Poorly Documented Dance Recital

I was really excited for Sarah's dance recital this December. We switched to a different dance studio this year and I was looking forward to seeing both of her dances as well as the other classes. Brad was still in New York, so I was hoping to get some decent video so that he could see what she's been working on.

I didn't think Aaron could handle an evening recital that I had heard could run upwards of 3 hours. I left him with my neighbor. We brought Sarah's friend along with our 4th ticket. When we arrived at the high school, we were all in good spirits.Chloe is in gymnastics now, so she wasn't part of the recital. She was excited to see the performances though. She wanted to buy Sarah some flowers and I agreed.
I never did get any pictures of Sarah in her dance costumes. They weren't the typical recital costumes though. For her ballet, she wore a simple black leotard and pastel wrap skirt. For jazz each girl had on a different, brightly colored t-shirt proclaiming peace and love, different colored dance shorts and black socks with multi-colored peace signs on them. A great costume, in my opinion, as all of it can be worn on a regular basis, either to dance class or to school (for the t-shirt and socks anyways). Plus it doesn't scatter glitter or feathers all over the house!
After the recital (it started at 7 pm and ended just after 10 pm), I took all the girls to McDonald's for fries and ice cream. I got a picture of Sarah then.
And yes, I did say "girls" to McD's. Kyle got taken home shortly after Sarah's jazz performance at 7:45. Mary was a lifesaver that evening! He started having a major meltdown during her ballet performance. I was ticked. Because of his tantrum, I had to stop the camera several times in order to deal with him. You can hear all of the fun and try to watch Sarah's dance below. (She's the tallest in the class and comes out onto the stage last, on the side of the audience.)
Part 1: (It starts out slowly.)

Part 2:

Part 3: (When the camera jerks suddenly a few times, that is Kyle head butting my arm.) (Sarah is in the middle with partnered with a smaller girl.)

Part 4 (the bow):

Then I totally botched filming her jazz number. :( I turned the camera on when I thought it was off, turned it off when it should have been on, etc. etc. I hope we have better luck with the June recital!

4 comments:

Kelly Brown said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! That made Dave and I laugh! Too funny, Kyle that stinker;) Seriously, I can not stop laughing at how many times you had to say "shh" and then he head butts you... ha ha, that is great! Being a Mom is awesome:) Sarah I am sure was wonderful! (She is a teenager now, crazy.)

The Hoskins said...

Ohhhhh Kyle. Unfortunately, from the video standpoint, he stole the show. Sarah looked good up on stage though! Very funny!

Anonymous said...

Maybe we'll both have better luck in June. Sarah did a great job, though.

These Small Hours said...

Oh Courtney, I SOOOOOO know the feeling. I've had the same struggles with my camcorder (recording when I thought it was off and turning it off when I thought I was recording-so frustrating!)

And unfortunately, I've also experienced VERY similar dramas with my kids misbehaving while I'm trying to enjoy one of my other child's special moments. It's SO maddening!!!

Sorry I've been kind of MIA on blogger lately. I haven't been visiting many blogs because I haven't been able to keep up with my own much less visit anyone else's. Now that I'm feeling more caught up (in all aspects of my life)I want to start getting back in touch with my friends and visiting blogs again. Thanks for always being so sweet and leaving comments to my posts. I think you're great and I miss being in the same ward. (: I'll see you around.
Love me