I discovered that they have been digging up and eating (or at least nibbling on) the bulbs I planted last Saturday. Grrr!!! I spent all afternoon working on my flower bed - not to mention the money spent purchasing the bulbs. I just got done doing some research online and come to find out, squirrels think tulip bulbs are candy. CANDY!!!!! One of the suggestions was to plant them with daffodils, which I did, because the daffodils are poisonous to them. Well, it looks like they've dug up, tasted the daffodils, and then gone back for more. I have no way of knowing if the tulips have all been eaten. I'll have to wait until the spring - unless I get out there and dig everything up myself.
Of course, today is one of those rainy days where it is tipping down, so it's not like I can get out there and replant or even prevent more squirrels. Not if I want to stay dry anyway. I ran out when things slowed to a drizzle, just to see if what I'd observed from the window were really scattered bulbs. I was only out there for about a minute before the rain picked up again.
You know, many of the bulb packages say whether or not they're resistant to deer, but they say nothing of squirrels. They should put warning labels on the tulips. WARNING: Squirrels think your bulbs are tasty and fun to dig up!
Some of the things I read about today: chicken wire, blood meal, bone meal, cayenne pepper, moth balls (only recommended once, but said to be bad several times). 

Stupid squirrels.
5 comments:
Amen, sister! When I first moved to NY I thought, "How fun, there are squirrels in my yard!" Now they are pests. One got into our garbage can and was shredding the bag to get to some leftover popcorn! They need to stay in the woods! Oh wait, I guess we LIVE in the woods. Ha Ha!
Sorry Court
I was going to plant some bulbs, but maybe I won't.
I agree! Although my biggest complaint is with cats pooping in my flower beds. I've tried pepper and netting. Netting just looks ugly and the pepper stopped working. Joe said there are motion detecting sprinklers out there. Good luck. I might be changing my mind about bulbs too since I know there are squirrels running around our neighborhood.
Love the picture at the end. :)
Post a Comment