January is not typically when you post about the first day of school, but I get to do it because Sarah is now officially an 8th grader! I have to start by thanking all of you, family and friends, for your support and kind words when I vented about our frustrations with Sarah's school experiences. You are great!
In November we had a meeting with Sarah's counselor and math teacher. They were both very nice and helpful. I think I misinterpreted her counselor's tone in the email he had sent me. Remember me fuming a bit about what he said? I wish I hadn't gotten so worked up. He has been so helpful and kind. All of Sarah's teachers were supportive of her moving on. Her math teacher gave her some packets to help her get caught up on what she'd missed in Algebra. She finished her first (rather large) packet in a day!
When school started up again on January 5th, Sarah was ready to go! She even looked older to me!
She went to the office to get her new schedule that morning and then she was off! Two of her classes stayed the same because they are with Quest. Her homeroom teacher was changed to her new science teacher so she would have a few extra minutes with her each day to help with any catch up. One of her electives was changed to be the TA for her new math teacher, also to give her some extra time for any questions or catch up. She has PE for her other elective.
Both her counselor and new math teacher sent me emails that first day to let me know how things were going. I will probably meet with her new math teacher this week to touch base. Sarah is enjoying her new classes a lot. Right now it just feels like she's in different classes. I don't think the "moving up" thing will feel like a grade change until next year - when she starts early morning seminary. Then probably even more so when she starts high school the year after that! Eek! My baby is growing up! Both Brad and I are so proud of her and her efforts in school. She always tries to do her best. We know she will be successful with whatever she works at.
3 comments:
Yay! I'm glad it has all worked out so far! Hopefully this will be the right place for her!
I'm glad your Sunday was so awesome and I, too, hope that it carries over to today.
I LOVE Emma's hair in her birthday pictures when it is down and curly...what a doll.
Awesome R2D2 cake. I'm impressed!
(Sorry I'm lazy and left one big comment for several posts)! =)
I couldn't be prouder of Sarah and what a hard worker she is. The school seems to really be working hard to help her succeed.
So glad it's all working out. She is a sweetheart as well as a scholar!
Post a Comment