Thursday, May 19, 2011

Question of the Day

Okay, so I'm way behind on posting, but I just have to ask the Question of the Day...

Do I know ANYONE who hasn't been to Hawaii??!   Seriously, am I the only one who's never been?  It seems like everyone I know has either vacationed there or lived there and quite a few have done it recently.  And not even one-timers.  Several people have been there multiple times.  Grrrrr.....  Maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be.  Right?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still waiting, too! I was hoping to go before I looked too horrible in a swimsuit, but that went out the window YEARS back...I'm still hoping. Maybe we could go together? Love you!

Unknown said...

Sorry...

:(

Roy said...

Yeah, I hear you. We felt the same way before we went, too. And not to make it worse, but ... yes, it is all it's cracked up to be!

Kelly Brown said...

We haven't been either. Everyone in my family has!!! And by what they say it's more than it's cracked up to be :( Sigh... one day!

Jenniferb said...

haha. You should just go, it's really not that much more $$, than to take the family on an airplane somewhere else. We always use Expedia, and plan the whole trip there. You. Should. GO. You would love it! :)

Christy said...

I haven't been. I hope to go one day. I think we should plan an adult-only family reunion there seeing that I am pretty sure nobody in my family has gone.

You are not alone. :)

Christy said...

Okay, I lied. Brandon has been there sans me on a business trip but I am pretty sure that he came home with the "bird flu" so according to him it wasn't all that great!

Annalia said...

Um. It's awesome, and it will make you happy. Go.

My trips there have all been attatched to Tony working there, but I've been 4 times....only once without children.

SSToone said...

I haven't been nor my husband but I would wager that I'm younger than you. I feel the exact same way. People my age and younger go and what I really wonder is...where do they get the moola to go? We'd like to go BUT have no way to pay for it. Seriously, you've posted what I've meant to ask on Facebook but what I probably would have asked was if people actually had the money to do it or just a credit line - but I'm cynical...

Sarah said...

You've never been????? Just playing. I went when I was 15, would love to go back again now that I'm older...

Anonymous said...

I've never been. Ben has gone numerous times with the navy. It has never been high on my list of places to visit; I'm not a sun worshipper, and I prefer cool weather to warm/hot. I will say though, that when I see the pictures, it does look appealing. I really want to visit Scandanavia.

Linda said...

Sorry, Courtney...but I have been there 5 times with plans to go again next spring and yes...it IS that great. I was telling Ash the other day that I usually build things up in my head on how it is going to be and then when I get there I am a little disappointed. The first time I went and was in the ocean in Waikiki and looking over at Diamond Head, I thought.."this is as wonderful as I thought it would be!!" Don't feel discouraged, you will get there. I was in my 30's the first time I went!!

Randi said...

Oh Courtney, you really gotta go! I felt the same way and I honestly felt like we would never go. We are usually really tight with our money and Nick does not like to waste on things that are not "needed." But oh my, Hawaii is so not a waste. And now that we've gone, even Nick agrees we wasted nothing. I hope you can go soon!

Kathy said...

I've never been there either! Poor us : ( Literally - poor us! I am beyond the beach thing now but there is so many other things I want to see or do. Maybe someday?

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

it is one of those places, that you get there and the whole time all you do is think of ways you can stay there forever. like "really we could work at a 7-11 and live in a shack on the beach and be oh so happy" :)! you need to just go girl!

AmyJane said...

My thoughts on Hawaii. Yes, I've been once but it was back when I was single and just supporting me on my salary. It's a VERY long distance dream for us now to someday go together and without our kids. I remember my parents saving and saving to go for the first time for their 20th anniversary. (The two kids still at home stayed with me for two weeks while they were gone.) They've gone back for their 25th and 30th anniversarys now too!

It really is beautiful and happy making. There's something very laid back about the place--you almost can't be stressed out there. (Which is why I don't want to take my kids--they might ruin that magic!)

Also. If you ever decide to go, you should try super hard not to just go to Oahu. Kauai is where it's at for me, personally. The touristy stuff on Oahu (PCC, temple, Pearl Harbor)is all well and good, but I had enjoyed two days on Kauai FAR mores than five in Oahu.

AmyJane said...

Final thought, about the "we should live here" stuff that goes through your head when you're there. All three of my brothers did a year at BYU-H before or after their missions. Two of my cousin actually graduated from BYU-H, both getting married and having babies while living there. ALL of them will tell you that unless you are extremely wealthy, living there is NOT all it's cracked up to be. The cost of living is through the roof, all the housing is utter crap, and you go kind of island crazy when you can't afford to leave the island on a regular basis. So. Visit someday, but don't sell the house and apply for jobs at the PCC. Just saying.

Jenelle said...

I've never been! I hope to go someday. I hope you get to go soon. You deserve it! I'm glad you posted this. I really thought I was the only one too! :)

Misty said...

We've been accumulating "miles" for YEARS so our tickets were paid for through that. We stayed with the Richards most of the time otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford it. It IS beautiful. But milk costs $9.50 a gallon in most places! Crazy, right? Go - without the kids!