I've been realizing in the past few weeks that our family has gotten in the bad habit of constantly having "a treat". The kids ask for a treat instead of snacks, after lunch, after school, after dinner, before bed. They ask all the time. In fact, tonight the girls were sent down to bed (20 minutes after their normal bedtime); but came back up 5 minutes later to see if they could have just a few chocolate chips. *sigh* (The answer was no.)
The sad thing is that I think we were having little treats all the time and I know it is my fault. I love chocolate. Having a little bit after a meal seems to make it complete somehow. But I'm not always the best at limiting myself to just a little bit. I'm also famous for eating dessert(s) after the kids are in bed - when I don't have to share or explain myself.
So the past few days I've been cutting back. We didn't even have a treat after family home evening last night. Partly because I didn't have anything made and partly because I really want to get them out of the habit of expecting a treat all of the time.
Has anyone else struggled with this in their family? Or just with themselves? I seriously think that my self-control needs some improvement!!
13 comments:
Amen, Sister! We are sweet loving people. And yes, I just ate a piece of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory while Brandon was at Bishopric and the kids were asleep. Old habits die hard. We did REALLY good all summer but now we are sliding into the same old routine.
Thanks for the wake up call but I did enjoy my guilt-free cheesecake.... back on the treadmill for me :)
Definitely with myself! =) Did I tell you about the one (or maybe two) time I practically ate the entire COSTCO bag of M&Ms by myself? Yeah, we don't buy those any more because I figure a handful here and there is harmless...until the entire bag is gone in a week! =)
I have a snack box in the cupboards, filled with chips, granola bars etc. I have since Nathan was little. All the kids know its there, and love that when they ask for a snack they can just help themselves. To be honest even when we have treats in the house, Nathan forgets them and always just asks for a snack, and goes to this box. Sometimes I stick in a few candies, but often find they are at the bottom when I sort it out as they just grab mostly whats at the top - and dont get me wrong this still isnt as good as fruit etc .. but its better than candy :}
Hope this helps
Oh and you deserve a dessert .. with 4 kids a little treat for yourself when they have gone to bed I am sure wont hurt :}}
xxx
Hello. My name is John, and I'm a chocoholic. I've spread this disease to my family. I'm so ashamed.
For the past six years, my goal has been to limit treats to the weekend only. At first it was just for myself, but a couple of years ago, I decided to try to make that a family rule. Sadly, my record for compliance is, at longest, two months at a time, and many times when I've tried to recommit, we've only made it for a week or two. The kids and/or I keep finding excuses to make an exception, then we just forget about it for awhile. It remains a rule I would like to have, but I think it's going to be a lifetime of trying to achieve it.
uh yeah :)!!
I totally hear you! It's true- a meal doesn't seem complete without a little sweet at the end. I too need to cut back because Madi has discovered candy thanks to me and always wants it. Even if we don't have any she just points to the top of the pantry where we keep it when we do have it and she whines to get something good from up there. She refuses most snacks cuz she's sure I have something sugary somewhere- and I normally do! Ugh. I am addicted to candy and chocolate. I really do need to figure out self-control with this too. If you figure out any good ways, pass them on to me! I desperately need it!
Court my problem isn't really sweets, it is just fatty/salty food in general. Burgers, fries, cheese, chips, pizza. I have been unhappy with my lack of self comtrol, yet I don't fix it. I sometimes try, but it is almost like I'd rather remain unknowing and happy, than knowing and upset with myself. I want to be good, but it is almost easier to be bad. You've helped me realize I need to nip this thing in the bud, and take controll of my horrible eating habits. let me know if you get any really good tips.
yeah. treats will probably be my life-long trial. I love them, and they love my hips. One thing that I'm trying to remember and internalize, is the saying "you are what you eat." this is our only body, so we need to fuel it with good foods. Do I do that? Not hardly, but you were asking for tips. That's mine. good luck to both of us. :)
Ummm, Oreos with milk almost every night. We buy them from Costco. I made Joe pay $4 for a regular sized pkg the other day when we were out of Oreos and Costco was closed. My kids have candy all the time, and not just because of Mom and Dad's sweet tooth (although that contributes). If it ain't a holiday, it's a birthday, or a kind grandma from church (no names mentioned), or the Dr.'s office, etc... It never ends! I don't have the gumption to confiscate it and throw it in the garbage.
Same problem here. Braden seems to think he needs dessert after dinner EVERY night. I try to tell him that dessert is something special you get to have on occasion, but he thinks it's a must have. Humm, maybe I haven't hid my addiction from him enough. I have ice cream every night before bed...but I usually wait till the kids are in bed :) Does this mean he's been spying on me? :) Yeah, we should really cut back. If it's not ice cream, it's cookies, or some other baked good. I love chocolate, what can I say?! I think the best thing to do is to not buy it...then there's less temptation.
I just have to not have anything in my house, which kind of sucks, but keeps me from snacking.
Good luck!
Sign me up!
Post a Comment