Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

We had a fun 4th of July.  I don't remember what we did during the day.  I think just enjoyed the sunshine and Brad having the day off.  I got bitten by a Pinterest bug and we prepared some festive food for our dinner with Brent and Ash.

Sarah made our dessert - mini cupcakes.  Yum!

We had layered beverages.  Not the tastiest (no one really liked the blue Gatoraid except the boys), but pretty to look at!

I made a super fun looking layered Jello.  I may tweak with the sweetness of the white layer a bit.  I used the same idea a few weeks later and made rainbow layers.  That one was more of a hit.

We ate it up right with salmon, cheesy garlic mashed potatoes, and homemade rolls.  Sooooo good!

All the gang!  (Except for Brad, our photographer.)

Ash made some cute hair flowers for the girls to wear. 

After dinner we did Pop Its.  Those were the only "fireworks" we bought.  A couple of years ago I decided it was silly for us to spend lots of money on fireworks when we can go sit by the waterfront for free and watch other people blow up hundreds of their own hard earned dollars.

Sarah took the laid-back approach to Pop Its.

While we all were wearing sweats or at least a sweatshirt, Aaron out did us all by insisting on wearing his snowboots.

Diva Chloe!

Ninja Kyle!


Emma couldn't quite figure out Pop Its, but she still enjoyed them.  She'll be stomping them like crazy next year!

And then we headed down to the waterfront.  We found the best spot a couple of years ago and have been lucky enough to get it every year since.  We head down around 8:30 and watch the crazy people light off fireworks for two straight hours until the actual show begins. 







When the main show started, Aaron climbed into my lap and promptly fell asleep. He was out for the entire show.  By that point, fireworks were old hat for him.  When we woke him up at the end he was completely confused about when the show was going to start.
We headed home, ate roll, and then went to bed.  Sadly, Brad had to get up early and work the next day, but the rest of us slept in!  It was a fun-filled holiday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I feel great if we watch the parade! I love all your fun food ideas. What a good Mom you are to make things fun.

The Holyoaks said...

So cute! I was having babies and stuff that day. I hope to be a little more alert next summer! Looks like so much fun :) You're a good mom.

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the pics again when it hit me....what's wrong with this picture? 4th of July and SWEATSHIRTS and BLANKETS! 103 here yesterday...I'm so jealous!!!

Misty said...

Awesome! I'm impressed by the layered drinks and JELLO - that looked amazing!

Jenelle said...

Cute pictures! All the festive food looks so cute and delicious!